luni, 29 decembrie 2008

How to Kick People Out of Your Club

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/category/instructor-training/
...
http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2007/07/09/how-to-kick-people-out-of-your-club/

How to Kick People Out of Your Club
by Rob Redmond - July 9, 2007

Here’s some practical advice that perhaps you don’t think you need, or at least you don’t want to need. The truth is that it is every Karate instructor’s duty to remove people from their club who are trouble-makers or malcontents. While we never attempt to guess what other people’s motivations are and instead always focus on their behaviors, certain behaviors lead us to the inevitable conclusion that a club member has to go. After repeated attempts to correct the behavior, it continues, and eventually our hand is forced.

We can either sit by and watch this person destroy our organization, or we can step up, do something unpleasant, and put a stop to it.

An Example of Not Moving Fast Enough

At one time I had a Karate club that had grown quite large and popular. While it was not large by commercial standards, considering that it was a non-profit club with zero marketing and little more than a number in the phone book for advertising, it was pretty large. At one point, it was cresting around 50 students.

I loved having a large Karate club. It was a huge ego trip that so many people wanted to be in a room with me doing Karate. I loved having a large club, and I worked hard to keep the club large by courting every member. However, there were two members of my club who had no interest in training in the club, but instead were there mostly to make my students aware that there was another Shotokan club across town with what they considered to be superior experience and abilities.

Being a college student and completely ignorant of the ways of power politics, I allowed this situation to continue because the two people provided my club with extra brown belt members which I was proud to have on my floor. I also was hopeful that I could prove to these people that I was not the fool that they took me for and that my Karate club was worth joining. I hoped to win them over.

This situation continued for months, until finally one of my old friends who was a student of mine confronted me and let me know that even he was being pressed by these guys to leave my club and go train with them across town. I chose to confront them, but I did not remove them. They continued their parking lot complaining sessions and called up their fellow students at home and stopped them on their way to their cars informing them of just what a rotten Karate club I was running.

The numbers of students I had began to dwindle. Finally several students were approaching me and complaining that I appeared to be doing nothing to lead the club but was instead allowing these jerks to run everyone off. Finally, when I did do something, it was too late. I was down to ten students, and it was over. The club was DOA.

Remove the Cancer

What had I done wrong? I had allowed my Karate club to develop cancer, and I had refused the painful and frightening job of removing that cancer. Were I to meet my 21 year old self today, I would say, “Kick them out right now.”

If you see what I see in the story above - that an organization can go into total melt-down as a result of being poisoned by disaffected members - then you realize that there is a time and place for removing someone from your Karate club. The question that remains is what steps should you take when trying to remove someone so that you do not make things even worse ?

...
http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2006/10/04/how-to-give-effective-feedback/
http://www.manager-tools.com/

Niciun comentariu: